When it comes time to reviewing your scenes, answer the following questions to help tighten your writing.
1. Did you use your five senses? Or at least some?
2. How much showing and how much telling did you use?
3. What needs to happen in the scene?
4. How's the pacing? Too fast? Too slow? Just right?
5. Is the scene necessary to the story?
6. What's the most surprising thing that could happen in this scene?
Since I am more of a panster writer, these questions keep me in check. I also find them useful to give Beta Readers.