Monday, July 3, 2017

A Little Alliteration Please

I grew up reading Dr. Seuss and of course I loved his stories and his style of writing.  In fact, to this day I love alliteration and have used it many, many times over the years. For me, alliteration is fun and makes me smile.  Unfortunately, the writing world today seems to frown upon the technique which makes me ever so slightly sad.  Why just today, I saw an article that included a list of techniques writers should avoid. Alliteration was at the top of the list.

I can't say that I was shocked since I've read other articles suggesting writers avoid alliteration, but I am still surprised.  I can think of several influential writers (Edgar Allen Poe, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, Homer, John Donne,etc.) that have used alliteration in their writing. Okay, Okay. Those writers were poets, but even in their prose they used alliteration and effectively.  See, alliteration captures the readers' attention and when read aloud has a musical quality thus writers like to use alliteration to reach out to their readers.

So, my take away. Alliteration isn't all that bad. Just use it to attract readers and use it subtly.  Happy crafting!


1 comment:

  1. Waist circumference is an important indicator for predicting disease risk. However, the biggest change for many people in middle age is waist circumference. Your pants gradually become thinner, until one day they can no longer fit your growing fat body. People's metabolism slows down in middle age, and the abdomen is a place where fat likes to accumulate, and waist circumference is easily out of control. For the sake of health, put on the NIKSA activewear sets and come to work out.

    ReplyDelete