Monday, July 11, 2016

Tales from the Trails - Keeping It Real - Setting

Okay, by now you probably know that too much or too little setting detail can frustrate readers.  So how can you make the biggest punch by using the fewest words?

Come on, you know what I'm going to say . . . . Keep it real, man!  If possible, go to the locations of your various settings and just observe.  Jot down notes about what you see, hear, smell, taste, and touch.  Remember to use as many of those five glorious senses as possible.  I promise it'll help bring your writing alive!

Bonus points if the location is a really fun place to be - like in the mountains!

Now for me, after this trip, I  will have all kinds of great ideas about sounds, smells, and sight. One my three days into the woods with the hikers, I was rained on, saw a fox, and camped by a waterfall. So yeah, I got some good ideas about sight, smell, and sounds.   Touch and especially taste are going to be harder to come by.  You try eating trail food for several days.  It's fun for a day hike, but you get bored of it quick.  Thank goodness for trail angels (like me) who make deliveries!

And in case you are wondering, I got my trail name - One Match.  Why One Match?  I can start fires with only one match.  So yes, I was the official fire maker and tender of the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment