Monday, October 27, 2014

What's in a List



Can't believe how time flies and it's almost four months since I gave birth to the wee one.  Now I'm counting down the days till I go back to work which does unfortunately consist of some commute time. 

So, while I'm sad to leave the baby a few days a week (although in the perfectly capable hands of his grandma), I'm looking forward to the quiet time I'll have in the car and the many books on tape I'll devour. 

So the big dilemma now is..what to read? If you have any suggestions, please feel free to leave it in the comments section.  In the meantime, here are a few lists of "favourite books" that I found interesting.  

While they're not focused on YA, I think they do offer a window into how a few great minds think - and enjoy their spare time. 

Steve Jobs, Apple, Founder - Reading List (in no particular order)

1. King Lear by William Shakespeare
2. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
3. The Collected Poems of Dylan Thomas by Dylan Thomas
4. Be Here Now by Ram Dass
5. Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore Lappe
6. Muculess Diet Healing System by Arnold Ehret
7. Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
8. Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
9. The Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton M. Christensen

Elon Musk, Tesla & SpaceX, Founder - Reading List (in no particular order)

1. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
3. Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson
4. Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson
5. Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down by J.E. Gordon
6. Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John D. Clark
7. Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies by Nick Bostrom
8. Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future by Peter Thiel
9. Howard Hughes: His Life and Madness by Donald L. Barlett and James B. Steele

Finally, we have to have some YA influence - here's a list of books recommended by John Green (again in no particular order).  

1. The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld
2. Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie
3. Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth
4. The Book Thief by Markuz Zusak
5. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
6. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by A. Conan Doyle

For the complete list from John Green, click here


2 comments:

  1. Since you are a new mom, one of my favorite books on parenting I came across was written by Paul Rieser. It has been 14 years now since I've listened to it on tape so I forget the title, but I think it might have "Babyhood." Other than that, I'm a serial reader. I enjoyed the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, the Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling, the Lord of the Ring series by Tolkien, Rangers Apprentice by John Flanagan, Mother Earth series by Jean M. Auel, Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Much Ado about Nothing, Taming of the Shrew, & Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare. Let me know if you like Paul Rieser. My husband and I listened to his tape on a road trip and we couldn't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen! I'm going to check out the Paul Rieser book for sure. Will let you know how it goes :).

    ReplyDelete